Become a Program Partner
Program partners help persuade cities, businesses, and the general public to turn off or modify artificial light at night to provide migrating birds with safe passage between their nesting and wintering grounds.
Persuade the public and businesses to turn off or modify artificial light at night to provide migrating birds with safe passage between their nesting and wintering grounds.
Who Can Participate:
Any organization within Missouri or connecting states that is committed to promoting and achieving the Lights Out Heartland purpose.
- While spring and fall migrations can span many months, Lights Out Heartland will focus its efforts during the calendar months of May (Spring migration) and September (Fall migration) of each year. For each of these months, partners agree to:
- Host or participate in at least one outreach or educational event focused on Lights Out/Light Pollution within their region (to be defined). Partners can collaborate with other partners on such events.
- Cross-promote activities/events of all other partners using social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, websites, etc.).
- Throughout the year, partners agree to:
- Meet virtually at 1:30 pm on the third Thursday on the odd months of the year or as otherwise agreed to by the partners for the purpose of planning and collaboration.
- Share best practices to minimize and mitigate light pollution’s impact on migrating birds
- Promote Lights Out Heartland within their membership and with the public.
- All project collaborators will promote Lights Out Heartland on their website or social media.
Partner Meeting Schedule for 2023
Lights Out Heartland Program Partners meet by ZOOM at 1:30 pm on the third Thursday of odd months of each year. The ZOOM meeting will start at 1:00 pm allowing time for potential partners and partners with questions to informally chat with organizers.
For 2023, the Program Partner meeting schedule is 1/12, 3/16, 5/18, 7/20, 9/21, and 11/10.
Our Program Partners
Below is a list of our program partners.
|Arkansas||Arkansas Audubon Society||Visit|
|Arkansas||Arkansas Natural Sky Association||Visit|
|Kansas||Johnson County Community College||Visit|
|Kansas||Topeka Aubudon Society||Visit|
|Missouri||Audubon Center at Riverlands||Visit|
|Missouri||Burroughs Audubon Society||Visit|
|Missouri||Columbia Audubon Society||Visit|
|Missouri||KC Zoo & Aquarium||Visit|
|Missouri||Gateway Arch National Park Missouri||Visit|
|Missouri||Greater Ozarks Audubon Society||Visit|
|Missouri||Missouri Department of Conservation||Visit|
|Missouri||Missouri River Bird Observatory||Visit|
|Missouri||Missouri Sierra Club||Visit|
|Missouri||Saint Louis Zoo||Visit|
|Missouri||St. Charles County Parks||Visit|
|Missouri||St. Louis Arts Chamber of Commerce||Visit|
|Missouri||St. Louis Audubon Society||Visit|
|Missouri||Tyson Research Center||Visit|
|Missouri||Washington University - St. Louis||Visit|
|Missouri||Wildlife Rescue Center||Visit|