Building Partners agree to our Building Partner Commitment, as outlined below. If your organization would like to be recognized as a Lights Out Heartland Business Partner, please complete our enrollment form.
Building Partner Commitment
Join Lights Out Heartland - Protect Migrating Birds!
Building Owners Can Take Action in May and September – Midnight to Sunrise
The Mississippi Flyway is used by 60% (over 325 species) of North American songbirds as a migration highway in the spring and fall. Lights Out Heartland calls on owners of buildings to help protect birds during the high migration intensity months of May and September. Lights Out Heartland recommends these five actions to reduce light pollution and save birds - while also saving energy and money!!
Lights Out Heartland recognizes that not all actions may be possible for a specific building due to safety, security, or other constraints. Cumulatively these actions will minimize light pollution from enrolled buildings and help to provide safe passage for migratory birds.
- Turn off exterior decorative lighting, leaving security lighting on as needed.
- Turn off lights or draw shades to block interior lighting that can be seen from the outside, especially on upper floors.
- Dim or reduce lobby or atrium lighting, especially after business hours.
- Moderate necessary indoor or exterior lighting on timers or motion sensors so those areas are lit only as needed.
- Limit exterior lighting to the ground level, through down-shielding or moderating lighting controls.
Your organization agrees that "recognition information" sent to us can be posted on this website and websites of "Lights Out Heartland Partners". If you are unable to provide your organization's logo during this submission, you can complete the form without sending the logo and send it us later by email.
Registered Building Partners
Below are logos of our "Building Partners". To view a list of partners by name and state, click here.
Building Partners BurroughsAudubonKC_logo.jpg Columbia Audubon Society Gateway Arch National Park International Dark-Sky Association - Missouri Missouri River Bird Observatory Central Library - St. Louis Public Library St. Louis Audubon Society Wildlife Rescue Center
Columbia Audubon Society
Gateway Arch National Park
International Dark-Sky Association - Missouri
Missouri River Bird Observatory
Central Library - St. Louis Public Library
St. Louis Audubon Society
Wildlife Rescue Center